Monday, February 14, 2011

28mm - What am I thinking?

After frustrating myself with trying to sculpt in 54mm, I've decided to attempt 28 mm pieces as well.  I just want to say to all of you out there who do 28mm sculpts - y'all are crazy.  It has made me appreciate what a grand and vast canvass a 54mm figure is.  The photo below shows the French knights I've been working on, but the cork and sculpy dolly for the 28mm figure is in the foreground.  This gives you a good scale comparison.  The head was actually done in epoxy putty, the body is sculpy.  I've got a feeling this will be a waste of time.  The good thing about 28mm is that its hardly a waste of putty - the figure is so tiny (yes, I know, there are even smaller scales of miniatures out there.)

6 comments:

  1. Nice work, looking good, stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I appreciate you following the blog and I'll try to make it worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of them. A nice style. Are you going to stick to medieval and 28mm ?
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Paul, thanks so much. I will try to focus on 28mm medieval for now. I know there are so many great figures out there and there is not much that can be added to what is available in that world of figures. If you have any suggestions of things that might be good to try, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suggest looking at valdemars site. They do only 1/72nd medievals. The crusades seems highly popular at the moment, and Tuetonics...mind you to go for a trend is not the best thing IMHO...Maybe stuff that will fit across a wide range of the medieval period..from early to late. Civilians that could be used as additions to medieval armies ie, they could be multi purpose, convertable.
    You´ve got me thinking now...I wish I could sculpt :-D
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Paul. I did check out the Valdemar miniatures site and Holy Cow! That sculpting work is so amazing it makes me want to cry.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Although the Valdemar site does provide a nice range of civilians and peasants, there is probably a limitless amount of subject matter for medieval non-combatants. Did you ever try sculpting? Maybe you can, you just don't know it.

    ReplyDelete