Thursday, January 20, 2011

Another January Figure

Here is another figure I'm working on this month and planning to cast at the same time as my kneeling knight.  I decided to simplify things with this figure and cast the figure as a whole, with only the shield and base as separately cast pieces.  This was a much simpler figure to do because I didn't have to deal with all the sockets involved with the first figure.  I also decided to sculpt most of the chain mail detail in clay rather than use the gesso detail.  This was also a quicker approach, although I did keep the gesso for the chain mail bib around the shoulders.  There is something weird happening with the stance of this figure, very apparent from a certain angle - I just won't show you that angle.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

January's Figure

This is the sculpted original of a new knight figure before it goes into the mold.  The torso, head and legs are all one piece.  The arms are separate and one arm has an attached shield.  The base for the figure is also a separate piece.  I have taken to calling this figure Sir Megamind - probably because I didn't feel like putting any protective head gear on him and his angular cranium is so prominently displayed.  I've used pvc pieces for sockets and joints. The rest of the figure is sculpy with some gesso detailing.  The original will probably not survive the mold making process, but hopefully the mold will be successful and there will be lots of duplicates of this figure.  Getting the pour holes correct and getting all the right vent outlets is going to be the tricky part.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Some Early Experiments

Here are some early figures I sculpted, molded, and cast last year.  They are both cast in low melt-point alloy.  One figure is a single cast, and the other figure has arms and shield cast separately and attached.  My major problem with making molds of my figures is venting them properly so there are no bubbles or trapped voids.  Both figures are chunky and awkward.  Other major problem I struggle with is the attachment of the separately cast arms.  I am working a new method of creating a socket for attaching separate pieces as well as new mold making techniques.  The thickness of shields is also a problem.  It is a challenge to get the alloy to fill all the spaces in the shield without leaving any voids.  I am also going to attempt to make the shield part of the arm cast for my next figure.  We'll see how that works out.  I hope to make improvements on these crude initial pieces.  I'm working on a series of three new templar knights and am looking forward to working out some of these issues and getting a better result.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First Post

This blog is about my curious compulsion to create little men in armor.  There are so many things that need to be done around the house, leaks in the roof, sagging shelves - and my wife is perplexed as to why I spend my spare time on weekends in a corner playing with sculpey.  I plan to post some of the results of my three dimensional doodles on this blog.